Passion 2013 is behind us now. 60,000 students gathered in Atlanta, Ga to be taught, encouraged, challenged in the Word of God at $125 per. And then, to be called to action to live radical lives for Jesus in the culture they find themselves as proclaimers of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This was pinpointed thru a clarion call to end slave trafficking in the world. An excellent cause that every Christian should be engaged in.
But… there was massive a problem; with the exception of John Piper, NO ONE preached the Word or His Gospel. They not only hosted an unorthodox adolescent pastor – Judah Smith, but even allowed one woman speaker, Beth Moore, teach men. Tragic. Beth knows better…
The conclusion of the matter: biblically qualified men, preachers, should preach the Word!
Scripture is very clear on this issue. The Apostle in sobering and sacred terms says the following to young Timothy:
I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. -2 Timothy 4:1-2
Any pastor, Christian leader, Bible teacher has one duty that eclipses all others: preach the Word! And we are to do this “in season and out of season.” IOW, when it’s popular and when it’s not; when it’s convenient and when it’s not; when it’s acceptable and when it’s not. We are to preach the Word.
To preach the word . . . and not to follow it with constant and fervent prayer for its success, is to disbelieve its use, neglect its end, and to cast away the seed of the gospel at random. -JOHN OWEN
- The Scriptures should be our joy: Psalm 1:2 and Psalm 119.
- God gives His Spirit through His Word: Galatians 3:2 and Romans 8:5.
- The word of God gives hope: Romans 15:4 and Psalm 78:5, 7.
- The word of God makes us free: Psalm 119:45 and John 8:32
- The Word of God makes us wise: Psalm 19:7-8 and 119:98.
- Wisdom brings joy: Proverbs 3:13.
- The Word of God gives assurance: 1 John 5:13
- The Word of God overcomes the evil one: Ephesians 6:17
- The Word of God revives us: Psalm 19:7.
- The Word of God is our life: Deuteronomy 32:46-47
- Our physical life depends upon God’s word:
- He created us by His Word: Psalm 33:6 and Hebrews 11:3
- He keeps us in existence by His Word: Hebrews 1:3
- Our spiritual life depends upon God’s Word:
- We are born again by God’s Word: James 1:18 and 1 Peter 1:23
- We go on living spiritually by God’s Word: Matthew 4:4
- The Word of God causes faith: Romans 10:17 and John 20:31.